Your B2B Lead Generation Budget: Start by Cutting It Into Thirds
Here is a simple and effective way to allocate your business-to-business lead generation budget.
Use the first third of your B2B lead generation budget for Internet marketing.
- Search engine optimization (SEO) so your web pages will be found when prospects are using the leading search engines to find companies, products or services like yours
- Improving your website so it does a better job of helping visitors move from awareness to inquiry to consideration to purchase (Help yourself to my complimentary Web site design checklists for B2B marketers.)
- Adding your company and its products or services to appropriate online directories
Use the second third of your B2B lead generation budget for direct marketing.
Use it to fund:
- Building a well-targeted list of prospective customers
- Ongoing, multitouch email, postal mail or telemarketing for generating and nurturing leads until they are qualified as being sales ready
- Making offers designed to move prospects from awareness to inquiry to consideration and purchase
Use the final third for everything else.
The lion’s share of this final third should be spent on creating content (e.g., white papers, how-to guides, checklists, decision-maker kits, webinars, newsletters, articles and web page content optimized for key search terms).