Optimizing Email Marketing Campaigns
With email marketing, I recommend aiming for sending something monthly. Why? To stay in mind and in sight as your prospects move from awareness to consideration to purchase, and to increase your chance of being there at the right time. But not too often to become a pest and risk increased opt-outs.
Beyond getting your e-newsletter or marketing piece out the door, there’s plenty you can do to improve results, both big and small. Some key ideas you may not be considering:
- Make sure your email can be viewed well in the preview pane of email applications. And how does it look on your Blackberry or phone?
- Check that you’re not using words that automated spam filters consider questionable.
- Use enough text in case images are turned off, and use some text early in the email so it can be read in the preview pane.
- Subject lines can have a surprising effect on open rates. Keep on top of your metrics and test even small changes.
- Is the IP address of the server that the email is being sent from on a blacklist?
Looking for more ideas? I came across a useful list of 100+ Tools and Tutorials to Optimize Your Email Marketing Campaigns. They’re grouped into topics for convenience:
- Email Marketing Packages
- Analytics & Evaluation
- Deliverability & Reputation
- Mailing Lists
- Subject Line
- Timing & Frequency
- Tips & Advice
- Information Sources
What have you learned to improve your email marketing? Please share a tip that helped.